Have I already mentioned that I love hot cooked breakfast? Perhaps just a million times! I am a creature of habit, that’s why. I grew up in our island of Marinduque having cooked breakfast all the time. Everyday. It was the norm. We had rice for breakfast everyday – almost always accompanied by eggs and with some meat cooked in a variety of ways (pork tocino, beef tapa or perhaps even some left-over fried chicken) and yes, even fish – whether smoked (Tinapa) or fried (Daing – first comes to mind)! Of course, I should not forget the Ma-ling (Chinese Spam) or the more expensive Spam! I won’t mind having them everyday though I will probably gain a few pounds if I do so. 🙂
Baked Spinach and Eggs
- 6 cups firmly packed baby spinach or 1 (10 oz or up to 1 lb) bag fresh baby spinach*
- 4 eggs (can increase to 6 if you are using more spinach)
- Salt and freshly Ground Pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp crumbled Feta Cheese for 1-2 eggs (about 2-3 Tbps in total)
- Baking spray or a little oil for greasing
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly spray or grease with a little oil individual ramekins or other small oven safe dishes that can accomodate 1-2 eggs. See photo above. Set aside.
- Place the spinach in a deep skillet or a large frying pan. Add a little water (2-3 Tablespoons). Using medium heat, cook the spinach just until wilted, roughly 3-4 minutes. Use either your hand or a spatula to pack in the spinach. Drain the excess water well especially if you are using frozen spinach.
- Distribute the spinach evenly among the prepared ramekins or oven-safe dishes.
Crack 1-2 eggs on top of the spinach. Season lightly with salt and pepper – lightly because Feta cheese is pretty salty on its own. Sprinkle the crumbled feta cheese on top.
Place the baking dishes or ramekins on a cookie sheet and bake for about 15-18 minutes or until the eggs are set/cooked (whites are set and yolks look firm on the edges) to your liking. I like mine well-done but some like eggs that are a little runny. Whatever you like as long as the eggs are susbtantially cooked inside, it’s fine.
Serve with some toasted bread or rice on the side and tomato juice! A healthy breakfast that will keep you going for hours! Enjoy!
You can find complete recipes of this Baked Spinach and Eggs in manilaspoon.com