Spring has arrived! Though it’s still cold in many parts of the country. Enough time perhaps to sneak in one more winter recipe? If you still have root vegetables in your fridge looking for a perfect recipe before the spring weather catches up with the calendar, try this one.
It’s a ragout of sorts, roasted root vegetables that are tossed in a chunky tomato sauce with shreds of kale. Great for a side, or a hearty meatless meal in itself.
Roasted Root Vegetables with Tomatoes and KaleIngredients
- 3 to 4 pounds of root vegetables such as parsnips, rutabagas, carrots, potatoes, golden beets, turnips, and celery
- root, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 head of garlic, the cloves separated and peeled
- 6 Tbs olive oil, divided 3 Tbsp and 3 Tbsp
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 heaping tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 28-ounce can of whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 cups (packed) of chopped leafy greens such as kale or chard
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning or dried oregano
- Black pepper to taste
- Tabasco sauce (optional, to taste)
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Into a large roasting pan, mix together the vegetables, garlic, 3 Tbsp olive oil. Sprinkle with salt. Roast for 45 minutes, turning the vegetables over in the pan halfway through cooking.
- Meanwhile in a 4 to 5 quart Dutch oven, heat 3 Tbsp of olive oil over medium high heat. When the oil is hot, add the onions and sauté until the edges of the onions just begin to brown. Stir in the tomato paste, and cook a minute longer.
- Using your hands, tear the canned tomatoes into large pieces as you add them to the pot. Add the remaining liquid from the can into the pot. Stir well. Add the Italian seasoning. Bring to a simmer, then lower the heat to the lowest possible setting. Cover the pot and let cook gently while the root vegetables are roasting.
You can find complete recipes of this Roasted Root Vegetables with Tomatoes and Kale in simplyrecipes.com